In accordance with the Form of Government in the Book of Order, the Commission on Ministry (COM) of Charleston Atlantic Presbytery (CAP) is to serve “as pastor and counselor to the ministers and Certified Christian Educators of the presbytery, to facilitate the relations between congregations, ministers, and Certified Christian Educators, and the presbytery, and to settle difficulties on behalf of presbytery when possible and expedient” (G.3.0307). “The responsibilities of the COM are best fulfilled by fostering healthy ministries in the congregations of the presbytery” (Advisory Handbook).
- Professional Development: The Commission shall be responsible for developing conferences, seminars, and other continuing education opportunities for teaching elders, commissioned workers, church educators, and church musicians.
- Pastoral Care and Support: The Commission shall be responsible for developing opportunities for fellowship, guidance, and the emotional, physical, and spiritual well-being of teaching elders, commissioned workers, church educators, church musicians, and their families. The Committee shall be responsible for the development and coordination of colleague groups for clergy, church educators and spouses.
- Board of Pensions: The Commission shall be responsible for interpreting and promoting the work of the BOP, the Office of Professional Development (and/or their successor agencies) among the teaching elders, commissioned workers, church educators, church musicians, and the churches of the presbytery; and for informing church professionals and the churches on all matters pertaining to the material support and benefits provided church workers.
- Ordination Examination Readers: The Commission shall be responsible for nominating to the presbytery the person or persons to serve as readers of examinations for candidates.
- Provide for annual review of session minutes and biennial review of church registers.
- Examine and receive into presbytery Teaching Elders transferring from other presbyteries.
- Examine and approve for ordination candidates for ministry
- To approve Terms of Call for installed pastors and all other pastoral contracts.
- Grant permission to teaching elders to labor within or outside the bounds of the presbytery.
- Dismiss teaching elders to other presbyteries.
- Dissolve a pastoral relationship when the congregation and pastor concur.
- To negotiate and approve severance packages between congregations and pastors.
- Appoint moderators of sessions of churches with vacant pulpits.
- Approve all requests by teaching elders to serve in validated ministries and to authorize such persons to administer the Sacraments at specified times and places.
- Call meetings of the session of a particular church when there is no moderator or when the moderator refuses to call a meeting after reasonable notice when requested to do so by the Committee on Ministry