Presbytery Youth Council (PYC)
Identity.... Belonging.... Leadership.
As youth, we respond to God’s call through the Holy Spirit to be connected to each other, the church, and the world so that our lives proclaim with joy that Jesus Christ is Lord! Presbyterian Youth Council is built on the five intentions of the Presbyterian Youth Ministry through the PCUSA church:
- To respond to the needs and the interests of young people.
- To work together, youth and adults, in partnership.
- To be connected to the whole church, community, and the world.
- To include all young people, reaching out and inviting them to belong to the community of faith.
The Charleston Atlantic Presbytery Youth Council is a unique way for high school 10th-12th graders to gain valuable leadership skills, learn more about the Presbyterian Church (USA), get to know other youth from around the presbytery, and serve the church in an important and challenging way!
- The Youth Council meets on Sunday afternoons 2:00-3:30 at the presbytery office.
- There are about 10 meetings a year.
- Term begins June 2012.
- Responsibilities and expectations are:
- Youth Council members can only have 2 unexcused absences from the meetings per year. An excused absence will be granted provided the excuse is reasonable. You must contact one of the adult advisors at least 48 hours before the meeting you are going to miss. Missing more than 2 unexcused absences may result in expulsion from the council.
- Youth Council members are expected to attend the YC leadership retreat (see dates)
- Plan and lead the fall high school Presbytery retreat and the spring event, and assist in planning the middle school events (see dates) This will include leading and planning small groups, recreation, energizers, developing themes, choosing and directing speakers, skits, etc. As a group you will come together to make these events happen. Your opinions are wanted and needed to put together these events!
- Transportation to and from the meetings is the responsibility of the members.
- May 6, 2012, 2:00-3:30 pm at Presbytery Office: Open House for Youth Council Members
- August 24-25 Youth Council Leadership Retreat
(in concordance with STEPS event)
- November 9-11, 2012 - Fall High School Retreat
- February 8-10, 2013 - Spring Middle School Retreat
- March 16, 2013 - Spring High School Event
- YC planning meeting schedule will be set at the Leadership Retreat (always Sundays 2:00-3:30 pm)
Application Deadline is April 20th
Mail nomination form and responses to:
Youth Council Charleston Atlantic Presbytery
Attn: Rae Epps
2421 Ashley River Road
Charleston, SC 29414